The below contains sources of funding and support for community groups in the UK. We don't fund individuals, but if you are looking for support, take a look at Turn2us.
If you haven't applied for funding before, it's worth starting by getting in touch with your local County Voluntary Council (CVC) or Council for Voluntary Services (CVS) for advice. Find yours here:
- National Association for Voluntary and Community Action (England)
- Northern Ireland Council for Voluntary Action
- Scottish Council for Voluntary Action
- Third Sector Support Wales
- Wales Council for Voluntary Action
- London Plus (London)
For many smaller community groups, a good place to start is to see if there is a local community foundation in your area, before applying to national funders.
Funding for voluntary and community organisations in the UK:
- The Clothworkers Foundation: capital grants
- Children in Need: Fund children and young people's projects across the UK (temporarily closed)
- Comic Relief: funding and supporting organisations in the UK and around the world. (temporarily closed)
- Corra: supporting groups in Scotland.
- Edge Fund: support efforts to achieve social, economic and environmental injustice, and to end imbalances of wealth and power.
- Esmée Fairbairn: aim to improve our natural world, secure a fairer future and strengthen the bonds in communities in the UK.
- Garfield Weston: support small and large orgs across the UK.
- The Henry Smith Charity: grants to reduce social and economic disadvantage
- Lloyds Bank Foundation: fund small and local charities, investing in their work helping people overcome complex social issues across England and Wales.
- National Lottery Community Fund: award money raised by National Lottery players to community groups in the UK.
- Paul Hamlyn: invest around £30 million each year across six funding priorities where they wish to see change. A commitment to social justice underpins all these priorities.
- People's Postcode Trust: a wide range of causes supported through people's postcode lottery.
- Unltd: funds and supports social entrepreneurs - enterprising people with solutions that change our society for the better.
- Charity Excellence Database free funding database links to funders and other databases.
- Funding Information: pay to register database
- Funds Online: online subscription based funding database
- Funding Scotland: online funding search for Scotland
- Grant Nav from 360 giving: Search, explore and download grants data published by UK funders in the 360Giving Data Standard.
- Find your local community foundation here.
- nfp Synergy beginner's guide to fundraising for small organisations.
- More on grants for small businesses, in this article.
Advice and support
General advice for community groups and charities
- BatesWells: Free support from charity law firm, on a range of subjects from government schemes to fraud, including 30 min free calls for quick advice, and an online decision tool to support charities facing financial difficulty to identify and explore their options.
- Charity Commission: info on support & advice for England & Wales.
- Charity Commission Northern Ireland
- Coalition for Efficiency: free advice and workshops on impact measurement
- Cranfield Trust: free remote support for charities from management consultancy, telephone services, mentoring, HR and resources.
- Ethical Property Foundation: Property advice for charities during the outbreak, including a series of webinars, accessible for all, regardless of level of knowledge.
- FSI: FSI is a registered charity that supports the UK's small charity sector through the delivery of free advice and heavily subsidised training in strategy, governance, fundraising and impact. Membership is free for small charities.
- Good Finance: practical support on all areas of operations and working from home for charities and social enterprises.
- IVAR peer support webinars: free sessions for and with voluntary sector leaders
- LawWorks: free legal advice for small non-profits
- Locality: support for community organisations during the outbreak.
- National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO): updates, practical advice and signposting to further information for staff and trustees.
- Scottish Charity Regulator
- Social Enterprise UK: list of support for social enterprises.
Specific sector/interest advice
- CLINKS: Clinks supports, promotes and represents the voluntary sector working with people in the criminal justice system and their families.
- Helplines Partnership: tools for organisations running a helpline.
- MEAM: resources for organisations working with multiple disadvantage
- National Survivor User Network: support for mental health user-led community groups and organisations
- Reuse Network: UK’s membership body dedicated to charitable and voluntary reuse organisations
- Youthworksupport: advice, guidance, support and tools for youth workers during the COVID 19 pandemic.